4. Stubber Convent

The remains of the Stubber Convent are on a small peninsular on the west bank of the Stubbergård Lake. In the Middle Ages, it was a Saint Benedict's convent. The precise age of the convent is unknown. It is, however, mentioned as Claustrum Stubbetorp, in a written source from 1268. Following the Reformation in 1536 the convent was taken over by the Crown, and in 1538 it was given as a fief to manor lord Iver Juel. He converted the convent into a manor. The Benedictine nuns were allowed to stay, and as a vassal to the King he was obliged to provide for them as long as they lived. The original four-winged convent complex, built in brick, has almost completely disappeared.